Sunday, April 10, 2011

4/4 - 4/10, BM Training Week #14

I've documented my training fairly specifically through this blog. When I started it, I thought it was cool to share my progress with others and maybe become an inspiration or some self-centered crap like that. I haven't promoted it, try not to be too annoying posting updates to it on Facebook, etc., and as a result I have a grand total of 5 followers. But, at least it is documented to look back on. It has been a wonderful 14 (and soon to be 15) weeks. I've doubted myself, been confident, been banged up, felt amazing, run fast, run slow, run uphill, run downhill, PR'ed. I've run the course, I've searched to see how people cope with the pressure of Boston, I've read race reports, I've checked other runner's blogs, I've been good to myself, harsh to myself, I've been sick, I've been well. I've been alone, in pairs, in large groups, with my team, with other teams, with strangers. I've been in the sun, rain, snow, clouds, on the roads, on the track, in the woods, in the hills, along the beach. I've done a lot...

...but in the end, it's about simply doing it. Knowing that I can and will do it with focus and without getting overwhelmed by the hoopla. I got this.

Monday: This was a borderline disastrous workout of 3 x 2 miles on the Boston course from near mile 16. Wasn't even close to the goal of 12:40 on the first rep with a 13:10. Even on the more downhill second rep I was still 3 seconds off goal with a 12:43. The last rep ended just past Kenmore Square and I did that in 12:49. Ran through the finish line over to Copley where I took a D train back to Woodland for a mile jog back to the car. This was hard the day after a long run. 11.57 miles.

Tuesday: This was an easy paced run from downtown Uxbridge over to West Hill Dam in the woods there. It was raining lightly. It was very nice to run easy after yesterday's tough workout. 9.8 miles.

Wednesday: After Monday, I decided that I needed to take 2 easy days instead of doing the 5 x 1 mile on Wednesday, but this run wasn't as easy-paced as I originally planned. I ran on the Blackstone River Bikeway in RI and ran a bunch of mid 7's before coming across an older runner who asked me how far I was going. We got talking about Boston and stuff. I had to turn back around after only a half mile talking with him, but after that I was running in the 6:50s. Oops. Overall pace was 7:11. 10 miles.

Thursday: Started to develop a cough Wednesday and took today off. Was glad to get sick now and not at the end of next week.

Friday: Even with a cough, I ran my 6 miles marathon pace workout today. Started out with 2 miles in 16:11 at Riverside Park in Haverhill before heading out toward the Bradford Bridge. Felt a little winded at times thanks to the cough, but the legs felt really good which is the opposite things have been. Splits were 6:25, 6:27, 6:26, 6:24, 6:28, 6:24. That's right where I want the pace to be on Patriots Day. Took an easy 2 afterward. 10 miles.

Saturday: Steve and I ran a fun run half on the trails and half on the roads starting at Winnekenni. We left the park at NECC and took Middle Road over to Meadow Brook where we ran around Millvale. Took Middle back to Winnekenni via Route 110. Watch died mid-run, but it was easy paced and about 10 mile total.

Sunday: Met Steve again from his place in Newburyport. We took the bridge over into Salisbury and took the Eastern Marsh Rail Trail over to 110/1A. From there, we took Beach Road and then on 1A almost to Hampton in back. A lot of this was right at 7:00 pace. The overall pace was 7:06. This was an awesome final long run. My confidence is at an all-time high for the training, but not too confident! 16 miles.

Week: 67.37
April: 101.47
2011: 888.16

1 comment:

  1. Nice workouts and final week of training! I too can't stand those folks that constantly post their blogs and run stats to Facebook!

    See you at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete