Sunday, February 20, 2011

2/14 - 2/20, BM Training Week #7

This week was a little off plan, but the adjustments were good and it was another productive week. It is now vacation week and I am typing this from Hagerstown, MD where I am visiting a college friend and his wife.

Monday: With warmer weather, I was excited to run, but then it got all stormy suddenly in Worcester. I snuck in 2 easy miles before Caitlyn was able to arrive, then it started raining and getting windy. Fortunately, it died a little before we began. The goal? 6 miles at under 6:40 pace. While the last mile was a little tough, we ran well in 6:46, 6:36, 6:30, 6:44, 6:40, 6:30. Average pace was 6:38, so mission accomplished. 12.2 miles.

Tuesday: I ran in Whitinsville and Uxbridge at an easy pace. The sidewalks were icy, but not slippery. Most of the time I could run on the roads, but I had to be really careful when forced to the sidewalk in downtown sections. 8.7 miles.

Wednesday: I felt like crap trying to run on the treadmill. It was supposed to be a threshold run, but instead I aborted the entire run after 2.1 miles on the treadmill at an easy pace. 2.1 miles.

Thursday: I got my mojo back with a very long run in the nice temperatures through Douglas, Uxbridge, Northbridge, and a tiny bit of Sutton. I kept the pace relaxed and started to get cold at the end as the sun was going down. 15.75 miles.

Friday: I ran at 5:50 in the morning at a very slow pace. I hated this run, but I had to run early since I was leaving for the DC area after work. 5.5 miles.

Saturday: It was extremely windy for the George Washington Birthday 10K in Alexandria, VA. I am talking gale force gusts - it was sickening. The hotel we stayed at happened to be only 3.7 miles of almost a straight-shot to the start. I did this as my warm-up with the wind to my back. I did a few strides before the race to at least feel what the head-wind was like. Yikes. First miles: 6:30, 6:45, 6:50. After the turnaround? 6:05, 5:58, 5:54. I finished in 39:13, which is technically a PR. I know I can do 38 minutes in ideal conditions though. Between this and the Hangover Classic there were circumstances beyond my control that kept me from getting a faster time. I am very pleased considering the wind. It was brutal. And the cool-down back was misery. 13.6 miles.

Sunday: Decided that I had done a lot this week in regards to runs above 12 miles (3 total), so I only ran for 45 minutes or so at an easy pace. My body is yearning for a little rest from long runs. I may even take a day off in week 8. It's been several weeks since my last. I thought the shorter runs this week would be like off days, but my body is still a little beat up.

Week: 63.15
February: 188.9
2011: 433.5

No comments:

Post a Comment